Could it be any better?
...yes.. you can add macadamia nuts to the mix.
You an use any mix of peanuts and macadamia nuts as long as together it equals 3 cups. I used two cups of peanuts and one cup macadamia. Make sure you get salted peanuts! The salty-sweet is what makes the brittle soo addictive
After you measure out your nuts sprinkle them with 1/2 tsp baking soda. Then measure out two tablespoons of butter and place it near the nuts. Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil and spray with baking spray or lightly grease with oil.
When making candy items it always helps to have everything prepped and ready to go for when the sugar is done cooking. With your nuts, baking soda, butter, and lined pan you're ready to go!
In a heavy bottomed pan bring sugar, corn syrup, and some salt to a rapid simmer. Once it's simmering *stop stirring*. I love to fret over things and I always want to stir boiling sugar, but don't! Stirring can cause the sugar to crystallize. Let it simmer until it turns a deep golden colour. This will take about 20 minutes or so on medium- high heat.
Then remove the pot from heat and stir in the nut mixture (that has the baking soda in it) and the butter. The mixture is going to foam but keep stirring until its smooth.
Next use a buttered spatula to spread out the mixture on the cookie tray. If it doesn't want to spread out entirely don't fret, as it cools a bit the candy will get stretchy and you should be able to get it to fill the whole pan.
Let it cool and then break it into pieces. If there is any left over (which is doubtful) store it in a container with the layers separated by wax paper.
Peanut and Macadamia Nut Brittle
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 cups of nuts (you can use just peanuts or any ratio of macadamia nut and peanuts)
1. Measure out the nuts and sprinkle the baking soda over them. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil and lightly coat it with baking spray or lightly grease with oil. Have a buttered spatula near by
2. Combine sugar, water, corn syrup and salt in a heavy bottomed pot. Bring to a rapid simmer over medium-high heat. Simmer (without stirring) until deep golden which will take about 20 minutes
3. Remove pot from heat and stir in nut mixture and butter and stir until smooth (mixture will foam)
4. Transfer to lined baking sheet an spread it with greased spatula. If it won't spread thinly enough let it cool very very slightly and then resume spreading
5. Let harden (15-20 minutes) and break into pieces